Friday, 13 April 2012

Daytrip to Paris trip report! [Part 3]

The 'day' in Paris
The walk out of the terminal was almost as long as the taxi, and then trying to navigate the area inbetween terminal 2E and 2F was made difficult due to the lack of detailed signage. Eventually we ended up at our bus stop and caught the Roissybus for 10 Euros per person one way. A bit expensive, although it seems to be the easiest way to get into central Paris from CDG. The journey takes approximately 1 hour (50 mins there, 1H 15 on the way back) depending on traffic, and it takes you to Opera.

Thankfully we'd arranged to meet a friend next to the Opera who used to live in Paris, and he gave us a brief and manic tour of  the city: without him 3 hours would be nowhere near enough time to see what we did!

Travel was by metro and on foot. The metro system is efficient but confusing if you haven't familiarised yourself with the routes beforehand! A 'carnet' of 5 tickets (allowing 5 individual journeys) was around 12 Euros. Again, the metro is a necessity if you've only got a few hours, the city is just too big to walk everywhere!

Our first stop was the Trocadero, looking towards the magnificant Tour Eiffel:
Next it was the Place de la Concorde:
And on towards the Louvre...
Then, back on the metro, heading for the Arc de Triomphe and its infamous traffic:
We then walked back along the Champs Elysees, stopping briefly at a Haagen Dazs shop, before hopping back on the metro to Opera (Opera building below):
Phew! We got back on the Roissybus 3H 15 mins after we got off. Safe to say we were knackered! The journey back was longer due to traffic (which was at times downright scary...). Getting round the airport was easier for departures I thought, and we were quickly through security and into the impressive Terminal 2E:

Paris Charles-De-Gaulle (CDG/LFPG) to Birmingham (BHX/EGBB) BE3010
Beware: food in the airport is ridiculously expensive. But somehow the building, and the excellent views of RWY26 R and L made up for that. 2 Flybe Embraer 195's landed, ours was the latter and due to a crew swap with the Manchester aircraft we were about 20 minutes late taking off. Aircraft was G-FBEH:
I didn't film the flight back because by the time we reached RWY26R for departure it was too dark. But in summary it was a calm flight, cruising at FL260 and landing on RWY33 at Birmingham bang on time. Once again Flybe were faultless!

So overall, a great day of flying and sightseeing. Hectic, mad, rushed, but utterly brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment